Monday 22 August 2011

Protein Tahini-Grain Balls

My fridge is filled with containers of cooked beans, lentils, quinoa, brown rice, nuts, seeds and vegetables ready to be thrown together for a wonderful, healthy lunchtime salad!

So as noon rolled around and my stomach began to grumble, I walked over to the fridge began to feel drawn to the grains and lentils I had cooked up yesterday. Over the weekend, I saw some incredible rice balls in a vegan cookbook and have been craving them ever since - but my excitement at the high protein grain container I had brimming with a mix of yellow, red and black quinoa and amaranth was too much to pass up -- so I grabbed a range of ingredients, experimented and what followed was pure protein bliss!!
A Bowl of Mixed Yum!

Ingredients:
1 cup grain of choice (cooked)
1/2 cup lentils (cooked)
1/3 cup tahini
1 carrot, grated
1/4 cup pumpkin, sesame and/or sunflower seeds
1/4 cup dulse flakes
1 tablespoon miso paste


Mix all these ingredients together in a bowl and form into little ping pong sized balls. Heat a fry pan over  medium heat and cook the balls for a few minutes until toasted and heated through.

Serve on a bed of spinach with veggie salad or steamed greens and top with tahini-miso sauce and a sprinkling of toasted seeds

Tahini-Miso Sauce:
1/4 cup tahini
Although the 'balls' didn't last long
when they met with Mr Fork...
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon miso
1 tablespoon ume vinegar

Delicious, healthy and packed with more protein than Vin Diesel!!

And PLUS! I made some extra balls and put them in the fridge and they doubled as a yummy snack straight out of the fridge when I got home from work -- yum :)

Please let me know what you think, it's a new recipe and any suggestions/comments are very welcome! :)

Love and light,
Lauren xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment