Monday 11 July 2011

Going Loco for Peacoco!

Peanut Butter is unashamedly my favourite thing on this planet! I love to eat it on toast with honey, as a dip with fruit, smeared over a banana, in a smoothie - any which way I can!

As you would expect, one of my favourite recipes is satay sauce and I have spent many, many days and nights modifying recipes until I came to what I call the ultimate satay sauce: pea(nut) coco(nut) satay or PEACOCO! Satay's remind me of tropical holidays and always transport me to beautiful beaches in Thailand or Bali stilling under a tree in a hammock watching the sun glisten on the clear water. Naturally, the addition of coconut milk to the recipe not only made it taste wonderful but also brought forward even more the delicious nuttiness of the peanuts and the smell of the salt water from the tropical beach paradise!

So here, my beautiful friends, is my recipe for my favourite satay sauce - although it does come with a warning: this will become a staple in your house for adults and children alike so beware! Never use if unwanted guests are over for dinner because they will never, ever leave!!

You will need:
1/2 cup good quality peanut butter (translation: the ingredients list should read 'peanuts.' period.
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup tamari (you can use soy if you like, but I would recommend tamari for flavour and your belly's wellbeing)
1/4 cup lemon juice and brown rice vinegar mixed together (i.e. a good splosh of brown rice vinegar and a good squeeze of a fresh lemon)
1 minced garlic clove
1 tablespoon of minced fresh ginger
1 red chilli (optional! I love hot food so I use one good birds eye chilli, but the recipe is just as good without chilli at all! You can decide based on your mood/audience)
A little squeeze of honey (again, optional but I find it rounds out the sharp vinegar and lemon nicely)
A handful of fresh mint and coriander

Blitz your ingredients in a blender until smooth and serve either at room temperature as a dipping sauce with fresh cut up veggies and tofu on skewers or transfer to a saucepan and heat slowly over a low flame constantly stirring until heated through if you prefer your sauce warmed. Pour over a bowl of steamed kale and quinoa/brown rice and top with toasted crushed peanuts or pepitas - absolutely incredible!

Can you hear the hammock calling?

Love and light,
Lauren xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment