Sunday 8 May 2011

Yoga - or will someone please look at me I am balancing on my head!

Finding yoga has probably been the most pivotal moment of my life thus far. I came into my practice through the incredible gift that is Eat. Pray. Love. by Elizabeth Gilbert. I have always been fiercely independent and the idea of going by myself to a yoga clinic one weekend to explore what changed Elizabeth Gilbert's life so much seemed like an adventure worth embarking on! At first I was quite frightened by the idea of balancing on my head or forearms, and doubted my ability to balance my entire body weight on my little hands then proceed to tip my body forward without face planting all the while breathing calmly and having a clear mind. Alas, practice makes perfect - and when I say perfect I mean today's best effort - and yoga has become a daily ritual in my life.

For me, yoga is the vehicle by which I am able to feel my place in the universe. It gives me a chance to connect with Mother Nature, my soul and my body.

My hero, my inspiration, my guide, my mentor and my saviour is a beautiful yogi called Kathryn Budig. I was lucky enough to attend a yoga workshop with Kathryn when she came to Sydney from her LA home last month, and learnt both the techniques of many commonly explored yoga poses but more than anything she taught me about gratitude. In our yoga practice, we must find a place where we are vulnerable, receptive and open to everything the universe intends for us to receive and dedicate our trials and tribulations to those who need it. Yoga is about finding our place in the universe, exploring our body and more importantly our soul.

This was my introduction to yoga, what is now an essential part of my daily existence, and I intend to use my blog to explore some of my musings about yoga and reflect on yoga experiences that I have and ways in which you can use yoga to benefit your life too.

"Wherever you are up to in your practice today, even if it is is less than yesterday or last week, is perfect. It is perfectly what you need today." - Kathryn Budig.

Love and light,
Lauren xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment